This course offers a professional route of progression from Deck Officer to Chief Mate (i.e. from operational level to management level). This course is designed in accordance to competencies included in the STCW Code, Table A-II/2, of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for seafarers (STCW/78), as amended.
Blended: 75% Online (on GIMET e-learning platform) and 25% Effective Classroom Sessions conducted by Zoom/Teams or conducted by a real instructor, as well as Simulation Sessions conducted by a latest fashioned iCloud Wartsila NTPRO 5000, which permit remote operation of student stations. For the 25% practical part of this course (approximately 1 month), students are required to be present in a classroom under the supervision of a qualified instructor.
Course Entry Requirements:
The course is open to all experienced deck officers holding a deck officer certificate of competency for at least 12 months.
Attendants of this course must provide evidence of the following:
- A 12-month experience as a deck officer onboard of merchant ships of 500 GRT and more.
- Health status, proved by a physician, with special mentions regarding (a) chronical diseases, if any, (b) eye sight and audible capacity/acuity.
At the end of this course, successful trainee will be able to exercise the following competencies, as provided by Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code:
- Plan a voyage and conduct navigation
- Determine position and the accuracy of resultant position fix by any means
- Determine and allow for compass errors
- Coordinate search and rescue operations
- Establish watchkeeping arrangements and procedures
- Maintain safe navigation through the use of information from navigation equipment and systems to assist command decision making
- Forecast weather and oceanographic conditions
- Respond to navigational emergencies
- Manoeuvre and handle a ship in all conditions
- Operate remote controls of propulsion plant and engineering systems and services
- Plan and ensure safe loading, stowage, securing, care during the voyage and unloading of cargoes
- Assess reported defects and damage to cargo spaces, hatch covers and ballast tanks and take appropriate action
- Carriage of dangerous goods
- Control trim, stability and stress
- Monitor and control compliance with legislative requirements and measures to ensure safety of life at sea, security and the protection of the marine environment
Separate courses must be attended, to cover the following competencies:
- Maintain the safety of navigation through the use of ECDIS and associated navigation systems to assist command decision making
- Maintain safety and security of the ship’s crew and passengers and the operational condition of lifesaving, firefighting and other safety systems
- Develop emergency and damage control plans and handle emergency situations
- Use of leadership and managerial skill
- Organize and manage the provision of medical care on board
For the 75% online part of the course, candidates will use the GIMET e-learning platform to watch a series of video lessons, and to access a broad range of teaching materials: subtitles (or Speaker Notes) of the video lessons, articles, notes, diagrams, dictionaries, guides, links to external useful resources, etc., in an informal environment. That means the students may use the distance-learning platform while at home or onboard, for longer or shorter sessions.
For the 25% classroom part of the course, candidates will be present in a classroom, in a formal environment, for 4 weeks. That means the students will follow strictly a daily schedule in the classroom, under direct supervision of a qualified GIMET instructor in a suitable classroom in the geographical region of the trainees.
This course is designed and structured in strict accordance with the IMO Model Course 7.01.
Course Assessment and Certification:
This course includes the following academics subjects:
- Advanced Navigation (75% online, 25% practice, simulator sessions are included). Assessment: online exam (on e-learning platform) and a separate practical/written exam.
- Advanced Stability (75% online, 25% practice). Assessment: online exam (on e-learning platform) and a separate practical/written exam.
- Advanced Meteorology (100% online). Assessment: online exam.
- Advanced Ship Handling (75% online, 25% practice, simulator sessions are included). Assessment: online exam (on e-learning platform) and a separate Simulator exam.
- IMDG Code (100% online). Assessment: online exam.
- IMSCB Code (100% online). Assessment: online exam.
- Search and Rescue (IAMSAR). (100% online). Assessment: online exam.
On successful completion of the course, candidate will be awarded an internationally recognized Course Certificate and a Certificate of Competency awarded by a White-Listed Maritime Authority.
Price: 3000 $